Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 Spotting Scope Review
If you are looking for a high-quality spotting scope that can deliver stunning images in any lighting condition, you might want to check out the Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope. This scope is designed for birdwatchers, hunters, and nature enthusiasts who want to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors with clarity and detail. In this review, I will cover the features, performance, pros and cons, and FAQs of this amazing product. I will also compare it with some similar products on the market and give you my final verdict. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
– Pros and Cons
– Similar Products
– Final Verdict
The Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope is packed with features that make it a great choice for anyone who loves observing nature. Here are some of the main features of this scope:
– Large 82mm objective lens that gathers more light and provides brighter images
– Multicoated optics that reduce glare and enhance contrast
– Zoom eyepiece that offers a variable magnification range of 20x to 60x
– Smooth focus knob that allows easy and precise adjustments
– Waterproof and fogproof construction that can withstand harsh weather conditions
– Rubber-armored body that provides a comfortable grip and shock resistance
– Built-in sliding sunshade that protects the lens from dust and sun glare
– Rotating tripod mount that allows you to adjust the viewing angle
– Compatible with Nikon’s digiscoping system that lets you attach a camera to the scope
The Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope delivers excellent performance in terms of image quality, ease of use, and durability. Here are some of the aspects of its performance that I liked:
– The image quality is superb, with sharp details, vivid colors, and minimal distortion. The scope can resolve fine details even at high magnifications and low light conditions. The multicoated optics ensure that the image is bright and clear, without any chromatic aberration or color fringing.
– The zoom eyepiece is smooth and easy to operate, with a wide field of view and a long eye relief. The zoom range is versatile, allowing you to scan the landscape at low power and zoom in on specific objects at high power. The eye relief is comfortable for eyeglass wearers, as it prevents eye strain and fatigue.
– The focus knob is also smooth and precise, with a large diameter and a fine-tuning feature. The focus knob allows you to quickly adjust the focus from close to infinity, without any backlash or lag. The fine-tuning feature lets you fine-tune the focus for optimal sharpness.
– The scope is well-built and sturdy, with a waterproof and fogproof design that can handle rain, snow, and humidity. The rubber-armored body provides a secure grip and protects the scope from bumps and drops. The sliding sunshade is convenient and effective, as it prevents dust and sun glare from entering the lens.
– The tripod mount is stable and flexible, with a rotating mechanism that lets you rotate the scope horizontally or vertically. The tripod mount also has a locking screw that secures the scope in place. The tripod mount is compatible with most standard tripods, as well as Nikon’s digiscoping system.
Pros and Cons
The Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope has many advantages, but also some drawbacks. Here are some of the pros and cons of this product:
– Excellent image quality with sharp details, vivid colors, and minimal distortion
– Versatile zoom range with a wide field of view and a long eye relief
– Smooth and precise focus knob with a fine-tuning feature
– Waterproof and fogproof construction with a rubber-armored body
– Sliding sunshade that protects the lens from dust and sun glare
– Rotating tripod mount that allows you to adjust the viewing angle
– Compatible with Nikon’s digiscoping system
– Heavy and bulky, especially with the zoom eyepiece attached
– Expensive compared to some similar products on the market
– No carrying case or lens caps included
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about the Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope:
Q: What is the weight and size of this scope?
A: The scope weighs about 4.4 lbs (2 kg) without the eyepiece, and about 5 lbs (2.3 kg) with the eyepiece attached. The length of the scope is about 15.5 inches (39 cm) without the eyepiece, and about 17 inches (43 cm) with the eyepiece attached.
Q: What is the warranty of this scope?
A: The scope comes with a limited lifetime warranty from Nikon, which covers any defects in materials or workmanship. The warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, abuse, or accidents.
Q: What is the digiscoping system and how does it work?
A: The digiscoping system is a way of attaching a camera to the scope, using a special adapter and a bracket. The digiscoping system allows you to take photos or videos of the objects you are viewing through the scope, using your camera’s zoom and settings. The digiscoping system is compatible with most Nikon DSLR and COOLPIX cameras, as well as some other brands.
The Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope is not the only product of its kind on the market. Here are some of the similar products that you might want to consider:
– Celestron Regal M2 20-60x80ED Spotting Scope: This scope has a similar zoom range and objective lens size as the Nikon, but it also features an extra-low dispersion (ED) glass that reduces chromatic aberration and enhances color fidelity. The Celestron scope also has a dual-focus mechanism that allows you to adjust the focus quickly and finely. The Celestron scope is slightly lighter and cheaper than the Nikon, but it also has a shorter warranty period.
– Vortex Optics Razor HD 20-60×85 Spotting Scope: This scope has a higher zoom range and objective lens size than the Nikon, but it also features a high-definition (HD) glass that delivers exceptional clarity and resolution. The Vortex scope also has a helical focus mechanism that allows you to adjust the focus smoothly and accurately. The Vortex scope is heavier and more expensive than the Nikon, but it also has a lifetime warranty that covers any damage or defect.
– Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60×80 Spotting Scope: This scope has a similar zoom range and objective lens size as the Nikon, but it also features an ultra-high definition (UHD) glass that provides superior brightness and contrast. The Bushnell scope also has a dual-speed focus knob that allows you to adjust the focus quickly and precisely. The Bushnell scope is lighter and cheaper than the Nikon, but it also has a lower eye relief and a shorter warranty period.
The Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope is an excellent product that can satisfy anyone who loves observing nature with high-quality images. The scope has many features that make it easy to use, durable, and versatile. The scope also has a few drawbacks, such as its weight, size, and price, but they are not deal-breakers for most users. If you are looking for a spotting scope that can deliver stunning images in any lighting condition, you might want to give the Nikon 8317 Prostaff 20-60 x 82 spotting scope a try. You won’t regret it!